Get Your Taxes in Order: A Step-by-Step Guide to Downloading Form 26AS Online
Updated on : June 3, 2023 - 4 p.m. 17 min read.
As the tax season approaches, it's essential to get your tax affairs in order to avoid any last-minute hassles. One of the critical documents you need to have in hand is Form 26AS, which contains crucial information about your tax deducted at source (TDS), tax collected at source (TCS), and other details. However, getting your hands on this document can be a tedious task if you're not familiar with the process.
That's why we've put together this step-by-step guide to help you download Form 26AS online easily. In this guide, we'll walk you through the entire form 26as download process , from registering on the TRACES website to generating and downloading the form. Whether you're a salaried individual or a freelancer, this guide will simplify the process for you, so you can file your taxes with ease and confidence. So, let's get started and get your taxes in order!
Why is Form 26AS important?
Form 26AS is an essential document that contains all the information related to your tax deducted at source (TDS), tax collected at source (TCS), and other details. It is a consolidated statement that provides a summary of all the taxes you have paid or have been deducted from your income. Form 26AS is a crucial document that is required at the time of filing your income tax return (ITR).
Form 26AS helps you avoid any discrepancies in your tax payments, which can lead to penalties and legal issues. By reviewing Form 26AS, you can ensure that all tax payments made by you or on your behalf have been credited to your account with the Income Tax Department.
In addition to this, Form 26AS also contains details of any refund that has been processed or is pending with the Income Tax Department. Therefore, it is essential to have a copy of Form 26AS for each financial year.
How to register for access to Form 26AS
To download Form 26AS, you need to register on the TRACES website. TRACES stands for TDS Reconciliation Analysis and Correction Enabling System. It is a web-based application launched by the Income Tax Department to help taxpayers view their tax credits and TDS details.
To register on the TRACES website, follow these steps:
- Visit the TRACES website at https://www.tdscpc.gov.in/app/login.xhtml.
- Click on the ‘Register as New User’ option.
- Select the user category as ‘Taxpayer’ and enter your PAN details.
- Fill in the required details such as name, date of birth, and contact information.
- Set a password and select a security question and answer.
- Click on the ‘Submit’ button.
Once you have successfully registered on the TRACES website, you can log in and download Form 26AS.
Step-by-step guide to downloading Form 26AS online
You can download form 26as from TRACES offical website or you can use E-filing offical website to download the form. let's take a look at the step-by-step process of downloading Form 26A from E-filing portal.
Step 1: Login to the Income Tax e-Filing portal
You will land on the dashboard of the new income tax portal.
Step 2: Click on eFile and then click on income tax returns from the dropdown.
Step 3: Now, click on View Form 26AS from the dropdown
Step 4: Click on confirm to proceed.
Step 5: Once you are redirected to TRACES, you will have to click on proceed to the disclaimer that appears on the screen.
Step 6: Click on the option to View Tax Credit (Form 26AS).
Step 7: Select the assessment year for which you want to view Form 26AS.
Step 8: Select the view as ‘HTML’ or ‘Text’ option.
Step 9: Select the checkbox to agree to the terms and conditions and click on the ‘View/Download’ button.
form 26as download pdf password
When you download the PDF of Form 26AS, you may encounter a password protection feature. The password to open the Form 26AS PDF file is your Date of Birth (in the format DDMMYYYY) as registered with the Income Tax Department.
For example, if your date of birth is 15th May 1987, the password to open the Form 26AS PDF file would be "15051987".
Common errors to avoid while downloading Form 26AS
While downloading Form 26AS, there are some common errors that you should avoid to ensure that you have the correct information:
- 1. Incorrect assessment year: Make sure that you select the correct assessment year for which you want to view Form 26AS.
- 2. Technical errors: Sometimes, due to technical glitches, you may not be able to download Form 26AS. In such cases, try again after some time.
- 3. Incorrect login details: Make sure that you enter the correct user ID and password while logging into the TRACES website.
- 4. Not agreeing to the terms and conditions: You need to agree to the terms and conditions before you can view or download Form 26AS. Make sure that you select the checkbox to agree to the terms and conditions.
Understanding the details on Form 26AS
Form 26AS contains various details related to your tax payments and TDS. Here are some of the details that you can find:
- 1. Details of tax deducted at source (TDS) on salary, interest income, rent, or any other income.
- 2. Details of tax collected at source (TCS) on goods or services.
- 3. Details of any advance tax or self-assessment tax paid.
- 4. Details of any refund processed or pending.
- 5. Details of any high-value transactions such as property purchases, mutual fund investments, or shares.
- 6. Details of any demand raised by the Income Tax Department.
- 7. Details of any proceedings pending with the Income Tax Department.
How to use Form 26AS to file your Income taxes
Form 26AS is a crucial document that is required at the time of filing your income tax return (ITR). Here's how you can use Form 26AS to file your taxes:
- 1. Review Form 26AS to ensure that all tax payments made by you or on your behalf have been credited to your account with the Income Tax Department.
- 2. Use Form 26AS to calculate the tax liability for the financial year.
- 3. Use Form 26AS to claim any TDS or tax paid during the financial year.
- 4. Use Form 26AS to claim any refund that has been processed or is pending.
By using Form 26AS, you can ensure that your tax returns are accurate and complete.
Benefits of using Form 26AS for tax filing
Here are some benefits of using Form 26AS for itr filing:
- 1. Easy access to all tax-related information in one place.
- 2. Helps avoid any discrepancies in your tax payments.
- 3. Helps in filing accurate and complete tax returns.
- 4. Helps in claiming refunds and TDS.
- 5. Helps in avoiding any legal issues or penalties.
Frequently asked questions about Form 26AS
Here are some frequently asked questions about Form 26AS:
Q1. Is Form 26AS mandatory for tax filing?
Yes, Form 26AS is mandatory for tax filing.
Q2. Can I download Form 26AS for previous years?
Yes, you can download Form 26AS for the previous financial years.
Q3. Are there any charges for accessing Form 26AS?
No, accessing your Form 26AS online is free of charge. However, offline requests for a physical copy may involve nominal administrative charges.
Q4. Can I use Form 26AS as proof of income for loan applications?
Yes, Form 26AS serves as a valid proof of income for various financial transactions, including loan applications. Lenders often request Form 26AS to verify the applicant's income sources.
Q5. What should I do if I notice a discrepancy in my Form 26AS?
If you identify any discrepancies in your Form 26AS, promptly notify the Income Tax Department and provide the necessary supporting documents to rectify the issue. Consulting with a tax professional can also provide guidance on the appropriate steps to take.
Form 26AS is an essential document that contains all the information related to your tax deducted at source (TDS), tax collected at source (TCS), and other details. It is a crucial document that is required at the time of filing your income tax return (ITR). By following the steps mentioned in this guide, you can easily download Form 26AS online and use it to file your taxes with ease and confidence. So, make sure you get your taxes in order and file your tax returns accurately and on time.